For thousands of years humans have used fermentation to preserve food, leaven bread, and brew alcohol. In 19th century Belgium lambic beers were brewed using the yeasts and bacteria naturally found in the air. Fermentation is an integral part of the way we process coffee as well, but because of function – not taste. What can history teach us about fermentation, and how can we use that to create even better tasting coffee?
This week’s episode relied heavily on the article, “Looking beyond Origin for flavor diversity” by Lucia Solis. Read the article here. Also, here’s a link to the BuzzFeed video referenced at the beginning of the show. Links to the rest of the sources for this episode are below. Also, don’t forget to sign up for the Coffee Canon email list. A special gift is going out this week to those on the list! You can sign up here.
Episode Three Sources:
- Coffee Fermentation
- “Looking beyond Origin for flavor diversity.” Where is Scott Rao?, by Lucia Solis. Link: https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2017/10/23/looking-beyond-origin-for-flavor-diversity
- “A long overdue report on some coffee fermentation experiments.” Pax Coffea, by Peter Giuliano. Link: http://petergiuliano.tumblr.com/post/29438469954/a-long-overdue-report-on-some-coffee-fermentation
- “How Does Fermentation Affect Coffee Flavor Development?” Perfect Daily Grind, by Tanya Newton. Link: https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/07/fermentation-affect-coffee-flavour-development/
- “Beer and Wine are Fermented – So Is Coffee!” Hula Daddy Kona Coffee Link: http://www.huladaddy.com/articles/beer-and-wine-are-fermented-so-is-coffee.htm
- Beer Fermentation
- “A Brief History of Lambic in Belgium.” https://www.lambic.info/A_Brief_History_of_Lambic_in_Belgium
- “Geuze & Kriek: The Secret of Lambic Beer” by Jef Van den Steen. https://www.lambic.info/Books#Geuze_.26_Kriek:_The_Secret_of_Lambic_Beer
- Coffee Processing
- “What on Earth is Honey Process?” Seattle Coffee Works Blog, by Sebastian Simsch. Link: http://blog.seattlecoffeeworks.com/roastery/earth-honey-process/
- “Washed, Natural, Honey: Coffee Processing 101” Perfect Daily Grind, by R. Turp. Link: https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2016/07/washed-natural-honey-coffee-processing-101/
Episode Three Transcript: